Morocco – Fragrant Beef, Date, Honey and Prune Tagine,Tender chunks of beef simmered in a fragrant & fruity broth
Tender chunks of beef simmered in a fragrant & fruity broth enriched with honey – a traditional Moroccan tagine at it’s best! The meat becomes meltingly tender and the fruity & spicy smell transports you immediately to Morocco.
- 3 lbs organic beef, trimmed of fat & cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb onion, peeled & quartered
- 4-6 garlic cloves, peeled & chopped finely
- 1 lb carrot, peeled & cut into chunks
- 9 ounces canned tomatoes
- 4 ounces dates, pitted but kept whole
- 6 ounces prunes, pitted but kept whole
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ pint beef stock
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 teaspoons ras el hanout spice mix (or 2 teaspoons cumin powder, 2 teaspoons coriander powder, 1 teaspoon ginger and 1 teaspoon turmeric)
- salt & pepper
- 2 ounces toasted sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- Par-boil the carrots in boiling water for about 3 -5 minutes.
- Preheat the electric Tagine or crock pot to High.
- Heat up half of the olive oil in a large frying pan and quickly brown the onion quarters over a fairly high heat until charred & coloured well. Tip them into the crock pot.
- Add the chopped garlic & par-boiled carrots to the onions in the crock pot.
- Make up ½ pint of stock with a beef stock cube. Add the honey to the the stock & ALL the dried spices. Tip the honey & spiced stock into the crock pot & mix well. Add the cinnamon stick.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, dates & prunes to the crock pot – mix well.
- Heat up the remaining olive oil and brown the beef cubes in small batches to sear & seal them. As you finish browning them, add the beef to the crock pot.
- When you have finished browning all the beef, give the whole mixture a good stir & season with salt & pepper.
- Cook on high for between 6 & 10 hours depending on your crock pot’s wattage & settings.
- Serve the beef tagine with fluffy couscous and garnish with the chopped fresh coriander & toasted flaked almonds. It also works well with rice too.
- Made of Burgundy clay, can be used directly on a gas flame or an electric or halogen hob without a diffuser, without any fear of cracking or breaking.
- Oven, broiler, and microwave safe: Flame top pieces can go directly from a freezer or refrigerator, to a hot oven, to the table.
- 3.7 Quart capacity is perfect for brazing, heat conduction and for slow, natural cooking- You won’t soon forget the delightful flavors, vegetables and fall-off-the-bone meats cooked in this Tagine.
- Up to 30% lighter than many types of comparable metal cookware
- Easy clean up: dishwasher safe
Share on Facebook
Incoming search terms:
- beef and prune tagine
- electric tagine recipes
- moroccan beef tagine
- moroccan beef tagine recipe
- beef tagine recipe
- beef tagine recipes
- morrocan crockpot tangine
- www recipe arabic food beef tagine
- moroccan crock pot recipes
- slow cooker beef tagine