Barley Chick Peas Gazpacho: Very refreshing cold summery soup.
July 3, 2011 by Jackie K
Filed under Middle Eastern
|Barley Chick Peas Gazpacho, (Mtableh) in Arabic متبلة||
Recipe Type: soup
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 20 mins
This is a very old recipe my grandma use to make it in the summer it is pronounced Mu-tableh or Mu-tabli (متبلة) . It is very easy to make. The combination of barley, chick peas and yogurt gives this cold soup a delicious flavor and very refreshing treat for your hot summer afternoon.
- 2 cups peeled barley
- 1 can (15 oz.) garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 pound plain yogurt
- Salt to taste.
- Rinse barley
- In a large saucepan, cover barley with water and coon until soft.
- Drain, add salt and set aside.
- Bring to room temperature.
- Return to stove and add yogurt.
- Cook for about 10 to 15 minutes over low heat just before boil.
- Keep stirring to prevent yogurt from curdle.
- Once heated through, turn the heat
- Let it cool.
- Store in the fridge.
- Serve cold.
Share on Facebook
Incoming search terms:
- mtableh soup
Hey Jacky K
Thanks alot for thw mtableh recipe. If someone was to bet me I would have betted that no one on the internet know this dish. I havent eaten since my grandma died. I made some home made yogurt and I wondered if anyone has this recipe.
This is so exciting. thanks a million.
Thank you for your kind words, I had to make two overseas calls to get this recipe from my older relatives, this recipe also reminds me of my grandma and my childhood. If you have any questions or need any help please don’t hesitate to leave a comment.