Burghul pilaf (cracked wheat): make this healthy side dish as a substitue for rice.
Recipe: Burghul pilaf cracked wheat (برغل مفلفل): make this healthy side dish as a substitue for rice.
Summary: good healthy side dish to make instead of rice, more flavorful and easy to make.
- 1 cup medium coarse burghul
- 1 stick butter or 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups water or any kind of broth you prefer
- salt and pepper
- Wash the burghul or cracked wheat until the water runs clear. Drain and set aside.
- In a pot , heat the oil or butter, add the onions and cook until golden brown.
- Add the burghul, salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute until the burghul absorbs the oil.
- Add the liquid you are using and let it come to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and let it cool until the liquid is almost gone.
- It should be a little wet and moist. Serve as side dish and use it instead of rice.
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: Middle Eastern
Recipe by on.
Share on Facebook
Incoming search terms: